Do you have a leadership communication challenge you’d like to work out? Then you’re in the right place. Leaders from all industries and organizational sizes consult with me to build their confidence in putting the “people equation” front and center in their communication plans.
From one-to-one meetings to larger organizational plans, you and I will craft strategies for communication skills that will improve professional relationships, enhance “flow” with change initiatives and create better business outcomes.
Contact me for a free, 30-minute consultation to learn more about how I can help.
Do These Leadership Communication Challenges Ring True for You?
Are you currently experiencing any of these leadership communication challenges in your department or organization? These are just a few examples of actual management situations that I’ve helped clients navigate:
- You’re launching a new initiative and you want to create a cohesive, high-performing team, but aren’t sure what steps to take to get everyone on board.
- People are burned out on meetings and you’re looking for ways to make meetings more productive and meaningful.
- You have a vision about the direction to take in your organization/department, but need a plan to get people on board with that vision.
- People are complaining about lack of promotions, and you’re stuck on ideas for ways to give them development opportunities.
- You get along well with most of your team, but there are a few hold-outs that are puzzling to you and you like advice on improving those relationships.
- You’re about to start a new leadership role and you need an action plan to hit the ground running.
If you don’t see the exact scenario above, but think that you have a leadership communication issue that’s similar, contact me to set up a free, 30 minute exploratory call.
How Can a Leadership Communication Coach Help Me?
Communication coaching isn’t just for senior leaders who need media training. All leaders benefit from working with an expert who can help them craft interpersonal communication strategies that resonate with folks in a more immediate and direct way. My work centers on advising leaders who want to create a more meaningful professional connection with their colleagues. I work with clients to help them identify simple, actionable ways to factor the “people equation” into their daily interactions and strategic plans. When leaders actively pay attention to employees’ personalities, motivations and the social dynamics inherent in organizational life, they dramatically improve the chances of success in their business initiatives.
Clients who work with me on communication coaching achieve these results:
- Gain buy-in with team members on key objectives by “connecting the dots” to employee motivators, creating meaning and purpose for all involved.
- Build trust and rapport with team members, peers, senior leaders and executives by identifying, understanding and planning for the unique relational elements for each individual.
- Gain confidence to be the positive role model they were meant to be in a way that’s authentic, not cheesy or forced.
- Bring people along in large organizational implementations that inspire excitement and enthusiasm, not dread and feet-dragging.
- Help people get on board with organizational or departmental changes.
- Run meetings that are so engaging and productive that people actually want to attend them.
Why Wouldn’t I Just Work with My Internal HR Person?
Valid point. And you certainly can do that. In fact, I encourage all of my prospective clients to make HR their first point of contact. But the reality is, HR folks (and I used to work in that field, so I know) are stretched thin, just like everyone else. So it’s possible that they might not have the bandwidth to help, even if they have the skills and desire to do so.
Some other reasons an internal HR person might not work for your situation:
- You want an impartial, objective advisor to help test your thinking.
- The expertise of a social psychologist would be valuable to you.
- The communication skills training offered by your company isn’t working for you (or it’s non-existent.)
What’s the Process for Working Together?
All of my client engagements are custom-designed, which allows us to craft the scope of work in a way that best fits your needs. A typical project looks like this:
- Free 30 minute exploratory call.
- Scoping call to define the problem.
- Jennifer provides a written summary of possible actions to take, along with corresponding time frames and deliverables. (This may be as simple as a few phone calls to brainstorm an action plan, or a more in-depth series of activities over several months’ time. We will scale the project to your pacing and budget.)
- Client agrees on the path to take.
- We work together to uncover insights that will inspire you to elevate your leadership skill to new heights.
About Jennifer V. Miller
There are all sorts of business coaches out there. Why should you hire me?
- Expertise in human behavior. My work is informed by social psychology, which is the study of how the thoughts, feelings and behaviors of people are influenced by their social interactions with others. I have a degree in behavioral psychology, paired with 20+ years work in the corporate fields of human resources, training and development and executive coaching. I help leaders use the fascinating world of social psychology (aka “the people equation”) to help them better understand and connect with employees in a way that is authentic, fosters trust and leads to the achievement of organizational results that matter.
- Access to the latest leadership content. My work as a leadership researcher puts me in contact with experts in the field of leadership development. I have access to book authors, executive coaches, academics and leaders in the world of human capital management. I’m constantly on the hunt for the latest thinking in human performance and leadership. And I love passing that new-found knowledge on to my clients. You don’t have time to do the research; I do because it’s my job! So take advantage of what I’ve learned, without having to do all the heavy (research) lifting.
- I’m an advisor-coach. Know this: I am not a personal coach. While we may occasionally get into the “deep stuff,” my primary role is to work with you in an advisory capacity to help you identify communication factors that are impeding your business relationships. Leaders seek me out when they need a sounding board regarding creating buy-in, and building trust and rapport with their colleagues. Together, we will formulate communication and relational action plans that will pave the way for improved business results.
Want to maximize your leadership communication?
I can help. Let’s talk.